While I’ve been letting the stain and paint to dry on my dining room table, I’ve embarked on a new project. This will be my first piece of fine furniture, one that has no stain on it at all. I did a candle holder a couple years ago using walnut and maple but it wasn’t really much of a full scale project. This is also a piece that I might end up selling as it doesn’t have an immediate use in my house, so if anyone is interested, let me know.
A friend of mine gets drops of wood from time to time and he’s been telling me for years to come check out the stock. I finally went by in the summer and am I ever glad I did. There’s tons of good wood although it’s hard to see the real beauty of it until it’s planed down. Took a while to figure out what species this was. It has an oaky look to it and also sort of smells like it when it’s machined. I thought it might be She Oak as well but I think we’ve finally come to the conclusion that it is Hickory. It definitely has a lot of the same grain patterns and colour of the pictures I’ve seen. I wasn’t going to have enough to build a full table out of this so I needed something to accent this wood. I still had some Walnut kicking around which I was going to use as the wood for my coffee table but my wife wanted a darker top. In my books it’s a mortal sin to stain walnut so I kept it off to the side until a time when I can use it. And here we are.
I did a quick test with some mineral oil to see the contrast between the two woods. Once I saw the outcome, I was sold. Some of the darker strips of grain from the Hickory almost turn out the same colour as the Walnut so it adds a nice accent.
I had to purchase a piece of 8/4 Walnut because my only stock is 3/4″. My biggest concern was that the Walnut was not going to finish in the same way as the wood for the table top but it ended up working out all right.
I cut the 7′ board down into 3.5′ sections and then ripped them in half because my jointer can only handle 6″ width.
Here it is all cleaned up and ready to cut into 4 table legs.
4 table legs cut down and ready to be tapered.
Here they are being tapered down. I originally built this jig for my Muskoka Chair but I can’t tell you how often I end up using it. I’ll probably be using it for the drawer front as well when I get to it.
The cut left from the tapering jig was a little rough so I got my hand plane out and cleaned up the saw marks. This plane does such a great job and leaves the wood like glass. You can really see the difference between the part that is planed and the part that still has the saw marks.
All cleaned up!
And here are all 4 legs cleaned up and ready to go.
Here is the rough layout of the pieces that will make up the table.
I missed out on taking some pictures about how the legs and stretchers were attached but they were done with a dowel jig. I’m really glad I ended up going this route and not using pocket screws or something of the sort. The Hickory is incredible tough and I have a feeling I’d be breaking screws off and leaving a mess behind. Really excited to see how this turns out and hope I don’t screw anything up along the way 🙂