Walnut And Hickory Entry Table – Part 2

In Part 1 I finished up the very basic structure of the table but this is where the majority of the work is starting to happen. I haven’t been able to get a ton of time to work on it over the past couple weeks but it is slowly coming together in pieces. Once I had the base of the table created, I started working on all the details.

IMG_3067

First part was getting the top glued up. I laid out the best boards I could find in my stock and arranged them as best as I could. There are definitely small defects throughout the pieces but I just needed to get them as clean as possible and I’m hoping with all the finishes, the small bits will just blend in. At least I hope so!

IMG_3120

Next part was working on the handle for the drawer. I wanted to keep as much of the table made out of wood so I did some searching online and found a couple examples of the handles I wanted to create. I started first by ripping some of the 8/4 stock I used for the legs. I wasn’t sure what style I wanted the handle to be so I made sure to cut a couple just in case I liked one more than the other.

IMG_3121

Next was cutting a place for the handle to sit and attach to the front. I took a couple strips of the Hickory and added a small gap to snugly fit the handle. This tenon jig I built for my table saw years ago for a one off task and I can’t believe how many times I go back to it.

IMG_3126

Next was shaping the handles. As you can see here, this is why I wanted to create 2 separate handles. I wanted to see how it looked with a small curve in the handle and one with a straight line. So far I think I like just the straight line one but I keep going back to the rounded one to see what I think. Once the table is glued up and assembled, that’s when I’ll make the final decision.

IMG_3129

Here are holders cut down to size and the holes are being drilled to accept the dowels I’ll use.

IMG_3130

And here is the “almost” finished handle. I will still be doing a bit more shaping on the blocks and will be drilling a final hole to pin them in place to hold the bar in place. Someone used a bamboo skewer to hold this in place which I thought was a great idea.

IMG_3135

I laid out the cut line for where the drawer will go. This part I went back and forth on forever because I wasn’t too sure how I wanted to do it. Some of the guys on Lumberjocks had made a couple good suggestions, one being to drill small pilot holes in the corners and then use a scroll saw to cut a really fine line all the way around. Problem is I don’t have a scroll saw, so I had to improvise. I drilled the corner pilot holes but then used a jigsaw with a narrow blade and made the cut. I didn’t want to cut off too much because I decided I was going to line the edge of the drawer front with Walnut anyway.

IMG_3136

IMG_3138

I used a long flat piece of wood and then cleaned up the cut nice and flush to the pencil line. This did a great job and turned out even better than I thought.

IMG_3147

The jigsaw obviously didn’t do the greatest job of making a nice clean, straight cut so I put it in my taper jig to get a nice clean edge without removing too much. Then I used that edge on the fence of the table saw and got a nice parallel cut on the other side. Then I brought it to the mitre saw and squared up the ends, trying to keep the same width as the top and bottom.

IMG_3151

Next was ripping some thin strips of walnut, that were mitred and edged around the drawer front.

image

image

Next was onto the dovetailed drawer itself. I posted another blog update with my adventures in hand-cut dovetails. I’ve been slowly getting better at them but I figure I just jump right into doing them on this project. They turned out better than I thought to be honest. Not perfect but passable.

IMG_3167

Here is the final look of the drawer before I attach the bottom. The hard part of the drawer is done, now it’s just down to assembling everything.

IMG_3156

And here is where I am at. As you can see the top still needs to be trimmed down and although it looks like the drawer is complete, I just cheated and set it in place. I’ve got almost everything finished, now it’s down to assembly and finishing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s